Monday, May 30, 2005

Il Mare

I wasn't really that keen on the korean movie, "Il Mare", when a good friend passed her copy to me, even though the lead actress is one of my favorites. It didn't pique an ounce of curiosity. So, I just left the video gathering dust on the shelf. Then, I saw this news item that Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves' plan to make a hollywood version. Hmmm.... Maybe it's time I should take a peek after all.

True to my fear, the first few minutes were confusing and boring. I kept on crunching my eyebrows as I tried to unravel the mystery. One thing's clear though, the mailbox was a time portal that connects 1997 to 1999.....

Without me actually noticing it, I began to feel the excitement brewing as the the two lead characters start to share their thoughts, feelings and dreams through their unique correspondence. I guess the main theme of this film is that true love knows no bounds, be it time or space. True love will find a way for the lovers to meet and it will prevail.

Oh yeah, the romantic in me celebrates this film and has been berating the cynic in me for ignoring it. More than the "and they lived happily ever after" ending, I believe this film is really about choices. They both made their choices. Their choices might have disrupted the balance of life, yet, life does go on. And it will continue to go on, as long as there are lovers brave enough to overcome the obstacles life hurls on their ways.

No comments: