Sunday, December 19, 2004

Infernal Affairs

When I first saw the poster of Infernal Affairs prominently displayed at a HK cinema house a couple of years ago, i dismissed it immediately as another one of those B-action flicks that would have you rolling your eyes in utter exasperation in its first 15 minutes. But, a friend was insistent (so insistent that I was already having a hard time stifling the urge of hitting him with the DVD! hehehehehehe) that I watch this Andy Lau and Tony Leung movie. I eventually gave in, thinking that at the very least, I'll have a legitimate reason to swoon over Tony!

Contrary to my earlier perception, I didn't roll my eyes after the first 15 minutes. Instead, my eyes (and you can imagine how unbelievable that could possibly be! hahahahaha) were glued to the screen so much that I had to stop and rewind every now and then lest I missed something when I had to blink.

Infernal Affairs is basically a cat and mouse movie. Andy belongs to a triad who was encouraged to join the police force and Tony dreams of becoming a good policeman who had to infiltrate the triad. What makes this film deliciously intriguing is the ingenious way the directors presented the mind games between the two sides with the ultimate goal is to catch and kill the mole.

Having been a fan of Tony and Andy since they were doing HK TV dramas before (they were so good together in the Duke of Mount Deer as I recall), it was such a joy to watch them now.

I would be ecstatically happy to go on and on about Infernal Affairs, but I believe you will appreciate the movie more when you watch it on your own and be totally blown away.

By the way, the DVD offers 2 endings. Personally, I prefer the theatrical ending than the alternate one. It may run against the belief that crime does pay but what punishement can be more hellish than to carry your guilt heavily in your conscience for the rest of your life.

1 comment:

sushigirl said...

obviously, this is one of my favorite films.... hehehehehehe